Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I will edit this when I'm 85 or 90......Miles

I met Hepatitis C in 1976 through a blood transfusion. The symptoms were there in the 80s but the doctors called it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I finally found what I really had in 1992 and went on Interferon but was a non-responder.

The doctors say that I cannot take anything with Interferon again because of the way it attacked my system.

So, I will wait for a better treatment to come along. I still have a high viral load but all other liver tests come back fine.

I went through the sides, going from denial, to depression, then to isolation, with no help from my doctor. I did not know anyone else who was going through it.  I thought there had to be a better way... So, in Nov. of 1998 I started building our Seekers Hepatitis C support forum at Delphi.com.

I did not want others to go through what I went through without any support at all.

Our forum was active for almost 11 years and thousands were helped by so many great supporting people that were walking the same road and gave their time and knowledge to anyone who asked.
I planted a seed and watched it grow. I guess that was my real goal.

I keep our forum open in case any ole timers happen to drop in to say hello.

After 34 years living with hepatitis c without treatment I found that drinking extra water and getting about 10 hours sleep each night to let my liver have more time to do its work has helped me keep going.

I am now an old man with many fond memories of good friends that have passed through my life because of this disease, so this journey has had it's bright points. Thinking positive and enjoying each day as well as we can, helps to smooth out this bumpy road we travel.

I will edit this when I'm 85 or 90..........Until then, may good health come to all who read this.

Miles Lewis

(Seeker)

No comments:

Post a Comment