Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Will Not Be Put Down For My Infection.......Harry

I served in the Army 68-69 - wasn't diagnosed hep positive until 1992. In the mean time my wife was diagnosed. As it turned out, same critter I had. She caught it from me. Although it is rare to be transmitted sexually, she used to clean and dress my knicks and scraps. Usually bloody, hazard of the job at the time. As for me I only had two risks. The jet gun (MUNJI) and the transfusions I received after being wounded. The wife's only risk was me. Can't begin to describe the guilt that was felt or the pain it caused; knowing I was the source of her being infected. The only good thing after helping her thru treatment was she cleared. I didn't clear so I still carry the dragon with me. For many this would be cause for the stigma that surrounds hcv, but I look at it as an opportunity to educate others. I will not let a doctor or nurse touch me without letting them know nor any of my co-workers.

I look at it this way, it's my bug and I'm not sharing with anyone. I did nothing wrong as many others and will not be put down for my infection.
Thanks for your time,
Harry Hooks
Director, HCVets.com

No comments:

Post a Comment