Saturday, April 10, 2010

Albina's Hep C Story

My name is Albina,I am 34 years, I have never done drugs, never had a blood transfusion, never shared needles.  Just a difficult labour 8 years ago, with forceps, some dental procedures during these years, but no blood transfusion.

I was diagnosed on September 2009.  Just by coincidence, routine test, although I had a long time feeling tired and almost the first to catch the flu. Almost every month just like menstruating.

When I heard about the virus I remained completely indifferent, I didn't know anything about it.

Now I know a lot of things.I am genotype 1; low viral load, 256.000, fibrosis test 0.20.

I thank god, and I hope to continue doing well.

Yes I am tired, Yes I still catch the flu, but at least my lab tests are good.

I have not done the biopsy, and I do not know when I will have one. I had an US and CT Scan because of a hemangioma on my liver to check for tumor. I am having another US on May, since doctor wants to keep me under surveillance. But I am happy! I have two kids, who are negative. My husband who is negative. They love me.

I have a family that loves me, parents, brother ,sister, and I feel happy.

The virus is not gonna beat me!  I have promised in silence to my family and to myself!

1 comment:

  1. Here's one for ya Betty. I aquired HCV as a corpsman back in the Vietnam era. By a needle sticks. I received 10% disability for HCV after fighting the VA for 6 years. I just received 0% rating for cirrhosis. As they say having HCV that long I should have cirrhosis. Also saying that I only have mild pain. Well the VA at there own hospital in SLC UT shows I have varices lesions and uncontrolled GERD all associated with HCV.Verified by ct scan on two separate occasions. According to their procedures I should be rated at 100% disabled. But they didn't have any of the information that I just described. Because it all came to light after 2004.It appears they can't check computers from one part of the Government to another I guess. I sent the VA the information. As I always save copies just for situations like this. I sent it by fax and certified mail. Now we will see if they are true to their word and raise my percentage. They tell me it takes two weeks to get the information to the right people. So to be safe I sent copies to Senator Akaka of Hawaii as he is head of the veterans subcommittee. As well as my Sen Orrin Hatch of UT. So if I get denied someone should know.I don't know if the VA can get out of this but I will let you know. Good luck on your ventures I wish I were strong enough to help like they say I am. Rob

    ReplyDelete